How to prepare hand sanitizer solution
OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES ON PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE FOR COVID-19 OUTBREAK FOR WORK SETTINGS, Ministry of Health and Indigenous Medical Services – Sri Lanka
Raw Materials required
- Ethyl Alcohol >90% or Isopropyl Alcohol >90%
- Hydrogen peroxide 3%
- Glycerol 98%
- Food colouring (blue or green)
- Water (Properly boiled and cooled up to room temperature)
Method of preparation
In order to prepare 100 millilitres of the hand sanitizer,
- 85 millilitres of Ethyl Alcohol or Isopropyl Alcohol,
- 4 millilitres of Hydrogen peroxide,
- Few drops of food colouring and
- 1.5 millilitres of Glycerol, is required.
Add any one kind of alcohol mentioned above into an adequately large bottle (150 millilitres or more). Then add Hydrogen peroxide to the bottle. Mix it and add Glycerol to the mixture.
Then add water to the mixture until the total volume of the mixture becomes 100 millilitres.
Finally, the bottle with the mixture should be closed and mix thoroughly. The solution made can be used as an alcohol-based hand rub.